- Combine lamb, olive oil, oregano and garlic in a large bowl, season to taste and mix well to combine. Cover and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a barbecue or char-grill pan to medium-high heat – the lamb should sizzle as it contacts the plate or grill. Cook lamb, in batches if necessary, one side until the first sign of moisture appears on the upper side, turn and cook the other side. Turn once only for rare and medium. For well – done turn a second time once moisture re-appears and reduce temperature until cooked.
- Test for doneness with thongs. Rare is soft when pressed, medium it springy but soft and well done is very firm.
- While the meat rests, make the beetroot salad. Combine beetroot, onions and herbs in a large bowl, season to taste. Just before serving, add olive oil and vinegar, toss to combine.
- To serve, arrange chops on a platter, scatter with olives and extra oregano, drizzle with a little extra oil and serve with beetroot salad, lemon wedges, yoghurt and mixed salad.
- Lamb loin chops also taste great when cooked over hot coals.
Recipe and image sourced from Meat and Livestock Australia.